CIC Award for HS / CEGEP Chemistry Teachers
CIC Award for High School / CEGEP Chemistry Teachers
Submit a Nomination: To nominate someone for this award, fill
out the nomination form and submit your complete package containing items listed
Consult the Terms of Reference
The first award(s) will be presented in 2013.
Terms of Reference top
This award is presented in recognition of excellence in teaching chemistry at the high school or Cégep level and to encourage and promote chemistry at the high school and Cégep level in Canada.
Deadline: December 15, 2012 (2013 award)
October 15 of each year thereafter
Sponsor: Beaumier Churcott Foundation
Award: A one-year high school teacher membership to the Chemical Institute of Canada, a plaque and $1,000 educational grant to use towards chemical supplies, equipment, books or other material to enhance the teacher’s classroom.
A maximum of two awards may be offered each year.
The following may be considered in choosing the winners:
- A good understanding of the subject
- Exceptional ability to communicate and the knowledge to motivate students in chemistry
- Innovative teaching methods
- Mentorship to students and other teachers in chemistry
- Involvement in outreach activities such as science fairs, the Canadian Chemistry Olympiad, the Canadian Chemistry Contest
The Committee will consider primarily the nominee’s performance as a teacher of chemistry. They may, at its discretion, withhold awards if no nominations of sufficient merit are submitted, or if an insufficient number of nominations are made. Persons other than full time teachers of chemistry, if they meet the requirements in other ways, are eligible for these awards.
Submit your completed nomination package by e-mail in pdf format to email@example.com
Nominations must include: top
- detailed description of the candidate’s contributions to high school chemistry teaching
- C.V. (maximum 3 pages)
- 2–3 letters of support. These can include letters from teachers and students. Nominators do not need to be members of the CIC
- Membership in the CIC is not a prerequisite
The nomination shall remain in force for three years.
- Past Chair of the CIC Board of Directors as non-voting Chair
- Chair of the Chemical Education Division
- Immediate Past Chair of the Chemical Education Division
- CSC and CSChE Directors, Education and Student Affairs
- The award shall be presented annually unless the Committee considers that no suitable candidate has been nominated