Rules and Regulations
Print a version of the YouTube Contest Rules and Regulations
Eligibility and Requirement Summary
The contest is open to all legal residents of Canada (excluding residents of Quebec) who are thirteen (13) years of age or older at the time of entry who are enrolled in middle school or high school, or alternatively are homeschooling. Minors under the age of majority in their province/territory of residence must also submit a Minor Release Form verifying their parent/legal guardian’s agreement on their behalf to the terms and conditions in order to enter the contest.
Participants have the choice of submitting the videos individually or in groups.
Videos must be of original content and run three minutes or less.
The IYC logo must be branded in the submitted video.
Videos must be approved by the IYC YouTube Committee prior to contest posting.
Videos must comply with “It’s Chemistry, Eh!?” Contest Rules Regulations and YouTube Terms of Service.
Rules and Regulations
Videos must comply with Terms of Service.
Videos must be of original content; all other work must be clearly cited.
CIC is not responsible for submissions that are removed by YouTube.
Participants submitting their video to the CIC understand that the video content will be posted on both the IYC-CIC and YouTube websites, and will be available for viewing both during and after the contest period. Videos may also be available for viewing on social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter.
Participants submitting their video are limited to one entry.
No purchase necessary. The contest begins on February 1, 2011 at 12:01 am Eastern Standard Time and the contest ends on April 22, 2011 at 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time, and videos must be submitted during this time period only.
There will be one first prize awarded for one video entry, regardless of whether the video is submitted individually or in a group, consisting of $2,500 in scholarship funding.
There will be one second prize awarded for one video entry, regardless of whether the video is submitted individually or in a group, consisting of $1,000 in scholarship funding.
There will be one third prize awarded for one video entry, regardless of whether the video is submitted individually or in a group, consisting of $500 in scholarship funding.
All prizes must be accepted as awarded. No substitutions except at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize at a prize component with one of equal or greater value.
Participants have the choice of submitting the videos individually or in groups, and prizes will be awarded to and shared amongst only the persons whose names and contact information are listed on the Entry Form. Any person who may have participated or collaborated in making the video will not be considered a participant and, therefore, will not be eligible for a prize, unless his/her name and contact information is listed on the Entry Form.
Contest Process: The prize selection process will take place after the time period ends for the contest.
A panel of judges appointed by the Sponsor will judge all posted videos on the basis of 3 minutes in length, educational in nature, applicable for general audiences including those under the age of 13, original content, and best representation of the IYC logo.
Odds of your video being selected depend on the number of the posted videos, the quality of the posted videos, and on the decisions of the panel of judges.
Any video that has been posted on the IYC YouTube Contest Channel without first being approved by the IYC YouTubeCommittee will be immediately removed.
Videos must agree with Format and Content Guidelines.
YouTube is a registered trademark of Google, Inc. and is not a Sponsor of this contest nor is it affiliated with the contest in any way.
Format and Content Guidelines
Videos must be in .avi file format and be no more than 2GB in file size.
Videos must be less than 3 minutes in length.
Videos are meant to be educational in nature and must be applicable for general audiences including those under the age of 13.
Videos must contain all original content, and must not contain any copyrighted works, commercial content/advertising other than the IYC logo.
Videos must not contain any material that may infringe on anyone’s rights.
Videos cannot feature any prominent public figures or professional actors.
Videos must not contain any nude, sexually explicit, disparaging, discriminatory, libellous or other inappropriate content.
Videos must not contain or encourage any illegal or unsafe activity.
Videos cannot be altered after time of submission.
If a video entry is selected, the person who submitted the video entry will be contacted via YouTube message and/or YouTube email within two (2) business days of being selected. The person who submitted the video entry will have five (5) business days to respond to the email with his/her full mailing address and daytime telephone number (including area code) so a Declaration and Release form can be issued (see rule 1). If the person who submitted the video entry (a) does not respond to the email within five (5) business days of the email being sent; (b) fails to correctly answer the skill testing question (see section 1); or (c) fails to return the properly executed Release Form from himself/herself and from all the persons listed on the Entry Form if the video entry is submitted in a group within the specified time (see section 1), then he/she will be disqualified and another video entry will be selected and to repeat the process above until such time as contact is made by email with a selected video entry or there are no more eligible entries, whichever comes first. The Sponsor will not be responsible for failed attempts to contact a selected video entry.
1. Before being declared a Winner, the person who submitted the video entry must correctly answer without assistance of any kind, whether mechanical or otherwise, a mathematical skill testing question posed by mail or telephone and will be required to submit a Release Form from himself/herself and from all the persons listed on the Entry Form if the video entry is submitted in a group confirming their (i) eligibility for the Contest and compliance with these Contest Rules; (ii) acceptance of the Prize as offered; (iii) release of the Sponsor and its parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates and/or related companies and YouTube and each of their employees, directors, officers, suppliers, agents, sponsors, administrators, licensees, representatives, advertising, media buying and promotional agencies (collectively, the “Releasees”) from any and all liability for any loss, harm, damages, cost or expense arising out of participation in the Contest, participation in any Contest-related activity or the acceptance, use, or misuse of any Prize, including but not limited to costs, injuries, losses related to personal injuries, death, damage to, loss or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation, or portrayal in a false light, or from any and all claims of third parties arising there from; and (iv) grant to the Sponsor the unrestricted right, in the Sponsor’s sole discretion, to produce, reproduce, publish, reproduce, convert, broadcast, communicate by telecommunication, exhibit, distribute, translate, adapt and otherwise use and re-use the Video and Winner’s name, photograph, likeness, voice and biography in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, in connection with the Contest and the promotion and exploitation thereof. The executed Release must be returned within five (5) business days of the date indicated on the notice accompanying the Winner verification or the selected video entry will be disqualified and the Prize forfeited. The Release Form must be returned within the time period specified on the Release Form or the Prize will be forfeited. Prizes will couriered by the independent contest organization within thirty (30) days of receipt of the duly completed Release Form to the address provided on the Entry Form.
2. GENERAL: By entering the Contest, participants agree to abide by the Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, judges and independent contest organization with respect to all aspects of the Contest, which are final.
3. The Sponsor and the independent contest organization accept no responsibility for loss, damage or claims caused by or resulting from the Contest or any Prize associated with this Contest. By entering and accepting a Prize, each Winner consents to the use of his/her and/or parent/legal guardian’s name, address (city and province) and/or photograph, without further remuneration, in connection with any publicity carried out by or on behalf of the Sponsor with respect to this Contest.
4. The Sponsor and the independent contest organization will not be responsible for late, lost, illegible, incomplete or destroyed entries; all such entries are void. The Sponsor and the independent contest organization will not be liable for any failure of the Contest Website, do not assume any responsibility for incorrect or inaccurate capture of entry information, technical malfunctions, human or technical error, printing errors, lost, delayed or garbled data or transmissions, omission, interruption, deletion, defect or failures of any telephone or computer lines or networks, computer equipment, software or any combination thereof. Entry material/data that have been tampered with or altered are void. In the event it is determined that a participant has entered, or his/her video “viewed” in a fashion not sanctioned by these rules, the participant will be disqualified and all of the entries submitted by the participant will be disqualified. In the event of a dispute, entries will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder (defined below) of the email address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the person who is: assigned an email address by an internet provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g. business, educational institute, etc.) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address with the selected entry. If the identity of a participant is disputed, the authorized account holder associated with the email account at the time of entry will be deemed to be the participant. A selected participant may be required to provide proof that he/she is the authorized account holder of the email address.
5. The Sponsor reserves the right, to terminate or amend this Contest at any time and in any way, without prior notice. Without limiting the foregoing, if, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as originally planned, as a result of tampering or infection by computer virus, the Sponsor reserves the right to cancel the Contest and conduct a draw from all previously received eligible entries received by the Contest Closing Date. The Sponsor and the independent contest organization shall not be held responsible for any problems, errors or negligence that may arise or occur in connection with the Contest, including, but not limited to, any damage to an participant’s computer equipment, system, software or any combination thereof, as a result of the participant’s participation in this Contest.
7. The Sponsor respects your right to privacy. Personal information collected from participants will only be used by the Sponsor to administer the Contest, and only if consent is given at the time of entry, to provide the participants with information regarding upcoming promotions and/or events from the Sponsor. For more information regarding the manner of collection, use and disclosure of personal information by the Sponsor, please refer to the Sponsor’s privacy policies, which are available at http://www.cheminst.ca/.